Ants find everything they need in your home, which is why they’re drawn to invade. Crumbs, moisture, and cozy hiding spots make it an irresistible destination. They’re not being malicious, just resourceful! In this article you will learn how to get rid of ants. Ants come in thousands known as a colony. This marching military of bugs can be annoying and hard to get rid of. They are destructive organisms and are considered pests. Understanding their behavior and habits is beneficial to their removal. In this article, you will learn how to get rid of ants.
Facts About Ants
- There are more than 20,000 ant species in the world (as shown in this article). Nearly 1,000 of those species reside in the U.S. Some of the most common types of ants found on people’s homes are the Odorous house ants, and the Argentine ants.
- In a colony, ants have specific chores. Ants are highly social insects with specialized roles in their colonies. The queen’s sole responsibility is laying eggs, while female workers handle various tasks like feeding, looking for food, and nest defense. Male ants only have one job, which is to mate with the queen.
- Ants don’t have ears. Ants don’t rely on traditional ears for hearing. Instead, they sense vibrations through the ground using specialized sensors on their feet and knees. They also use their antennae and body hairs to navigate and forage for food.
- Ants can lift 10-50 times their weight. Ants’ relatively thicker muscles, considering their size, allow them to lift and transport objects much larger and heavier than themselves. This enables ants to excel in tasks like relocating food stores and constructing colonies.
Concerns About Ants
- Health risks: Some ants are known to bite and/or sting which causes pain and even swelling. Additionally, studies from the National Library of Medicine by AIMS Microbiol show that “100% of ants carry yeast or mold. Ants were also found to transfer E. coli to food surfaces at a moderately high frequency of 70%.”
- Food contamination: Ants are attracted to food, as stated before they are carriers of disease and bacteria, it is possible for ants to contaminate the food that people consume causing them to get sick.
- Allergic reactions: Ants may trigger allergic reactions in some individuals via stings, and bites. Although there are only a few species of ants that cause allergic reactions, it is important to avoid contact with ants if you have any known allergies.
- Electrical disruption: Crazy ants, hints at the name, are attracted to the electrical current of a variety of electrical equipment, including laptops, computers, and cell phones. This can ruin some of your valuable equipment.
How Do Ants Enter Your Home?
As stated, ants are very determined organisms so they are quite resourceful when entering a house. Ants are small creatures so they will climb inside the smallest cracks. They will target the cracks in the foundation. They enjoy the smooth entry of windows and doors with improper seals. They will find their way through the flooring. Even people and pets can accidentally transmit these sneaky pests into your home. This wide variety of entry points makes it hard for an individual to know the exact entry point of the ants.
Prevent An Ant Infestation
There are some important and practical implications to help prevent ant infestations in your home, they include:
- Removal of attractants: As we know ants are on the search for food. Keeping floors clean from crumbs and other food sources will help prevent an ant infestation. You should also seal up your fruits on your counter, and ensure your pet’s food isn’t easily accessible to ants.
- Disrupting access: Start by filling suspicious cracks or openings you may see around your home. Inspect all doors and windows making sure they are sealed properly, and consider installing door sweeps.
- Professional spraying: Hiring a professional pest control company is the most effective way to go about protecting your home. Professional pest control companies create a barrier with ecofriendly products to prevent pests from entering your home.
How To Get Rid Of Ants
If it is too late to take precautions and the ants have already found a way into your home, contacting with a pest control company is the best way to get rid of ants. People always call us after they have tried multiple DIY “solutions,” and they ask us how to get rid of ants? The answer is simple. You need a pro.
While DIY solutions might be good for short term results, at AIMVO Pest Control we will ensure you never see these pests again.